LJMU’s fashion tutors encourage an experimental approach to fashion design while teaching you the traditional skills of drawing and illustration, garment construction and photography. In line with our ethos of pushing the boundaries, you will learn new ways to showcase your collections, for example through digital media, so by the end of your studies you will have built up a portfolio to be proud of.
The course allows you to specialise in either fashion design or fashion communication in the form of styling, imagery, photography, illustration and art direction.
Teaching is via a combination of practical studio and workshop projects lasting several weeks. You will be required to attend briefings, workshops, seminar/discussion sessions, reviews and crits, which are often taught in small groups. One-to-one teaching either in studio workshop sessions or tutorials is a feature of this programme and tutorials may include personal development planning sessions where you can discuss your academic and future career plans with your personal tutor. As you progress through the course, you will be encouraged to develop your own individual style and approach through independent study.
Course at a glance
- Option to specialise in either fashion design or fashion communication
- Exciting work placements with high-profile designers, stylists and retailers
- Opportunities to meet prospective employers at British Fashion Council open days
- Growing reputation for producing internationally acclaimed fashion designers
- Support with building up a portfolio of your work to show at interview.
Read more about BA Fashion here.